Try a lighter, heart healthy and dairy-free pesto to go on toast or in pasta!
- 1 ½ cups fresh basil, tightly packed
- 3-4 sprigs mint (optional)
- 2/3 cup walnuts, halved
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 1 large avocado (or 1 ½ small)
- Juice of one lemon (approx. ¼ cup)
- 2 tablespoons water
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast (optional)
Note: If you are using a low-speed blender instead of a food processor, add the avocado and liquid components first, then the herbs and nuts.
- Add basil, mint, walnuts and garlic to a food processor and pulse until the mixture is coarsely ground.
- Add the avocado, lemon juice, water, salt and nutritional yeast (if using), and blend until smooth and creamy. You may need to stop and stir a few times during the blending.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator until ready use. An extra squeeze of lemon on top will reduce browning.
Nutrition Information / Amount per serving:
Total fat 11.9 g
Saturated fat 1.3 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Protein 3.1 g
Total Carbohydrates 5.1 g
Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
Sodium 197 mg