Don’t let your money or food go to waste by freezing your fruits and vegetables to preserve them.
- Wash and prepare the vegetable (stem, seed, and/or slice).
- Blanch vegetables (blanching times vary considerably between different vegetables—follow the recommended blanching time for each vegetable here), then immediately place into an ice bath until cooled.
- Pack into airtight containers or zip-top freezer bags.
- Wash and prepare the fruit (seed, pit, and/or slice).
- Treat cut fruits that discolor with ascorbic acid, citric acid, or lemon juice.
- Store whole or cut in zip-top freezer bags.
For delicious recipes, nutrition tips, and to find cooking and nutrition classes, go to the Kendall Reagan Nutrition Center website. More great info is also available at the College of Health and Human Sciences Pinterest board.