Batch cook this balanced burrito bowl for an easy and healthy meal prep! Feel free to add avocado, sour cream, or corn tortilla strips!
- 2 cups brown rice, cooked
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (~1 pound)
- 2 bell peppers, any color, sliced
- 1 large red onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons salt-free taco seasoning
- 1 16-ounce jar salsa
- 2 15.5-ounce cans no-salt-added black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 1 lime, sliced into wedges
- Cook rice according to instructions.
- Preheat oven to 400˚F.
- Line a baking sheet with foil.
- Place the chicken, peppers, and onions onto the baking sheet and drizzle with oil. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of the taco seasoning.
- Sprinkle remaining tablespoon of the taco seasoning evenly over both sides of the chicken breasts.
- Top each chicken breast with ¼ cup of salsa.
- Bake until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165° (about 45 minutes).
- Rest chicken for 10 minutes before slicing into strips.
- Divide rice evenly among 4 food storage containers. Top each with a scoop of black beans, sliced chicken, additional salsa, cheese, cooked bell peppers, and onions.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro, tomato, and a lime wedge.
- Enjoy day 1 of meal prep while it’s hot! Leftovers can be kept refrigerated for up to 4 days.
Nutrition Information / Amount per serving:
Calories – 630
Total Fat – 17 g
Saturated Fat – 4.5 g
Cholesterol – 100 mg
Sugars – 9 g
Protein – 48 g
Total Carbohydrates – 67 g
Dietary Fiber – 13 g
Sodium – 739 mg
Added Sugars – 0 g
For more delicious recipes, nutrition tips, and cooking and nutrition classes, contact the Kendall Reagan Nutrition Center at (970) 495-5916 or see the KRNC website. More health tips are also available at the College of Health and Human Sciences Pinterest board. Lastly, don’t forget to sign up for the KRNC monthly newsletter!