A classic comfort food baked for a lighter twist topped with an easy homemade tomato sauce.
Serving size: 4 ounces chicken
Yield: 4 servings
- Cooking Spray
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumb
- 2 eggs, beaten
- “5-Minute Tomato Sauce”
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 ½ medium cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- *15-ounce can crushed red tomatoes
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Zest of ½ lemon (optional)
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1/3 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a glass baking dish with cooking spray.
- Dip each piece of chicken in egg, then in breadcrumbs. Flip chicken over to cover both sides with breadcrumbs until completely and evenly coated. Place coated chicken in prepared baking dish.
- Bake chicken in oven (uncovered) for 20 minutes.
- While the chicken is baking, prepare the 5-Minute Tomato Sauce. Combine all ingredients for the tomato sauce in a saucepan (in order listed), stir, and simmer for 5 minutes. Set aside or keep on low warm heat.
- Remove chicken from oven, pour sauce around chicken. Avoid smothering chicken if you prefer bread crumbs to stay a little crispy. Sprinkle cheese over chicken.
- Bake an additional 15 minutes*, or until a thermometer reads 165°F in the thickest piece of chicken.
Calories – 375
Total fat – 17 g
Saturated fat – 5g
Cholesterol – 190 mg
Sugar – 5 g
Protein – 37 g
Total Carbohydrates – 18 g
Dietary Fiber – 2 g
*Sodium – 830 mg
Added Sugar – 0 g
*calculated with regular canned tomatoes, low sodium tomatoes would yield 545 mg sodium for the total recipe
For more delicious recipes, nutrition tips, and cooking and nutrition classes, contact the Kendall Reagan Nutrition Center at (970) 495-5916 or see the KRNC website. More health tips are also available at the College of Health and Human Sciences Pinterest board. Lastly, don’t forget to sign up for the KRNC monthly newsletter!