The challenges of a pandemic have not stopped Colorado State University’s Youth Sport Camps from encouraging healthy and active lifestyles for kids. Youth Sport Camps, hosted by the Department of Health and Exercise Science in the College of Health and Human Sciences, are back for this coming summer. For over 50 years, the camps have promoted exercise and movement during the summer for kids.
To keep everyone healthy, the YSC is implementing a few changes to the daily activities. They are also launching a virtual summer camp for kids and families to enjoy at home. The department was able to run a successful partial season last summer and will follow similar public health guidelines.
“We are excited for our upcoming Youth Sport Camps season,” said Brian Butki, director of the YSC. “Our camps will run as described and largely as we have in the past, and we will be taking precautions recommended by the state, county, and CSU officials.”
New schedule and health measures
Youth Sport Camps is a 12-week program starting on May 25 and ending Aug. 13 for kids ages 5-13 years old. Camps go from 8:30 a.m.- 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. Activities include basketball, volleyball, and field sports, among others. The FunLIFE camp is an option for campers interested in healthy lifestyle development. Campers can learn about the science behind sports in the Sports Science Camp, such as how a curveball curves and how muscles move. A more musical approach for campers can be found at the Music and Movement camp that combines aerobics and martial arts with music. The Super Sports camp lets campers play indoor and outdoor sports, go on field trips, and take swim lessons.
Kids who are ages 9 and older can participate in the Outdoor Adventure camp. This camp includes biking, hiking, geo-caching, and exploring the outdoors. For kids 10 and older, the extreme outdoor adventure camp offers rock climbing, white water rafting, paddle boarding, and an overnight field trip to the CSU Mountain Campus.
The camps are supervised mainly by CSU heath and exercise science students who have a passion for health, wellness, and coaching kids.
To keep campers and counselors safe, health protocols will be enforced during the day.
“We will be following the guidelines suggested by the Larimer County Health Department, including masks for counselors and staff, frequent handwashing, social distancing, and a drive-through drop off and pick up,” said Butki. “Plus, whatever other guidelines are in place at that time.”
See the Youth Sports Camp website for the full list of camps.
- All one-week camps (except Tennis and Golf) are $190 for the camper’s first week.
- Tennis runs 8-10 a.m. only and costs $75 per week.
- Golf runs 8-10 a.m. only and costs $100 per week.
- Super Sport Camp sessions are two weeks long and cost $355 per session.
- Extreme Outdoor Adventure camps costs $390 or $415 per session (depending on the session’s activities).
- Full payment or $50 deposit is required to register for each session.
- Campers CAN attend tennis or golf AND another camp the same week – YSC will transport.
- Please note: Payment with a credit card can only be done using your online account. Credit card payments cannot be taken in person or over the phone.
- Multi-registration and early-bird discounts are available.
- As a part of the Commitment to Campus program, children of CSU employees receive a 15% discount on camp session costs.
- Multi-registration discount: $10 per session discount starting with the second registration
- Early bird discount: $5 per session discount for registering before May 7, 2021. (Please note that if you switch camps after May 7, 2021, the early bird discount will no longer apply).
Cancellation and switching
- There is a nonrefundable $25 cancellation fee if cancelling a session at least two weeks before that session’s start date. The full $50 deposit will be forfeited if cancelling less than two weeks before the start date.
- Refunds cannot be processed for $10 or less.
- There is a $15 rescheduling fee if you need to change sessions.
For online registration, paper registration, or to get directions to register in person, see the Youth Sports Camp website.