Try adding old fashioned oats in place of some of the flour for a more nutritious flapjack.
Serving Size: 1 4-inch pancakes
Yield: 8 pancakes
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder (low sodium)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 ¼ cups milk (low-fat, almond, or milk of choice)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil or other vegetable oil
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Blueberries, sliced apples, bananas, or other fruit
- Dried cranberries or raisins
- Shredded carrots
- Shredded coconut
- Chopped nuts
- Spices such as cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, nutmeg, or other
- Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl (flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt)
- In a separate bowl, whisk egg lightly. Add milk, oil and vanilla, and mix well.
- Add liquid ingredients to the bowl of dry ingredients. Mix just until combined and moistened.
- Add mix-ins as desired.
- Lightly grease a skillet with butter or oil, and heat over medium high heat.
- For each pancake, pour ¼ cup batter into the hot skillet. Turn once bubbles appear on pancakes and their edges look brown. Cook on second side briefly and remove to a plate.
- Top with additional mix-ins or syrup, or enjoy as they are.
Nutrition Information / Amount per serving:
- Calories 93.6
- Protein 3.7 g
- Total fat 3.1 g
- Total Carbohydrates 13.2 g
- Saturated fat 0.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Cholesterol 25.2 mg
- Sodium 361.4 mg