For that Southern spiciness, add more red pepper flakes!
Serving Size: 1 cup
Yield: 6 servings
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes*
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 pound collard greens, stems removed and finely chopped
- 3 cups low-sodium broth (beef, chicken, or vegetable)
- 2 tomatoes, seeds removed and chopped
- Salt and pepper
- Heat oil and butter in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add chopped onion and cook until slightly soft (about 2 minutes).
- Add garlic and red pepper flakes. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add collard greens. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add the broth, cover, and bring to a simmer. Simmer on low for about 40 minutes or until the greens are tender.
- Stir in the tomatoes, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot.
Nutrition Information / Amount per serving:
Total fat 5.3 g
Saturated fat 1.8 g
Cholesterol 5.1 mg
Protein 6.8 g
Total Carbohydrates 12 g
Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
Sodium 87.7 mg