Serve this sweet and savory side as the perfect addition to any hearty fall meal!
Serving Size: 1/2 cup
Yield: 8 servings
- 1 medium butternut squash (about 2 pounds)
- 3 tablespoons canola or olive oil
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 medium tart apples, cored, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, minced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Peel and halve butternut squash, remove seeds, and cut squash into 1-inch cubes.
- Toss squash, oil, brown sugar, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Spread evenly over baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes, stirring half way through.
- Mix apple, onion, thyme, and lemon juice in a separate bowl. Once squash has cooked for 20 minutes, add apple mixture to squash. Cook an additional 20 minute, stirring halfway through.
- Remove from oven and serve warm.
Nutrition Information / Amount per serving:
Total fat: 5 g
Saturated fat: 0 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Protein: 1 g
Total Carbohydrates: 22 g
Dietary Fiber: 5 g
Sodium: 492 mg
For delicious recipes, nutrition tips, and to find cooking and nutrition classes, go to the Kendall Reagan Nutrition Center website. More great info is also available at the College of Health and Human Sciences Pinterest board.