Try making this chili in a crock pot for an easy, hot meal on a fall evening!
Serving Size: 1 cup
Yield: 10 servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 large red pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 large green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes, or 3 cups chopped fresh
- 1 (14-ounce) can no-salt-added black beans
- 1 (14-ounce) can no-salt-added kidney beans
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1, 14-ounce can pumpkin
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion, peppers, and garlic; sauté 3-5 minutes or until vegetables are softened.
- Add broth to “deglaze” the pan, making sure to scrape up any browned bits with your spoon/spatula. Add tomatoes, black beans, and kidney beans; stir. Add cumin, chili powder, and salt. Stir in the pumpkin to thicken the chili.
- Simmer for at least 10 minutes, or simmer in a slow cooker on low for 4 hours. Serve with your choice of toppings.
Nutritional Information/ Amount per serving:
Total fat 4.7 g
Saturated Fat 0.66 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Protein 7 g
Total Carbohydrates 23.5 g
Dietary Fiber 8.9 g
Sodium 388.4 mg