Posole is traditionally served with chopped cilantro, lime wedges and sliced radishes. Add diced avocado and/or shredded cabbage for added nutrition. Make it a complete meal with warmed whole wheat tortillas.
Serving Size: 2 cups
Yield: 6 servings
- 1 pound chicken breast
- 1 pound fresh tomatillos, peeled
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 large poblano peppers, diced
- ½ cup unroasted, unsalted pepitas
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 carton low-sodium vegetable stock
- 1 serrano chile, finely chopped
- 1 14.5-oz can pinto beans (no salt added)
- 1 14.5-oz can hominy
- 1 14.5-oz can diced tomatoes (no salt added)
- 1 large zucchini, chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Black pepper
- Preheat oven to broiler setting, heat large stock pot on medium heat, heat small frying pan.
- Place chicken in the bottom of a quart size stock pot in an even layer. Fill pot with cold water until there is about 1 inch of liquid above the chicken. Bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer and poach chicken for 10-15 minutes until it is cooked through.
- Place peeled and washed tomatillos on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil. Place baking sheet in broiling oven and let tomatillos brown on one side (~5-10 minutes, watch closely – broilers vary). Use tongs to flip tomatillos to brown the other side.
- Add canola oil to large stock pot. When oil begins to shimmer, add onions, garlic and poblano peppers. Saute and stir until combined.
- Add pepitas to dry frying pan. Stir frequently to roast pepitas until you hear popping. Pepitas should be golden brown and toasted, caution for burning.
- Add cumin and oregano to onion mixture, stir.
- Add ½ container vegetable stock to blender, add serrano pepper, add onion mixture and blend well. Pour blended mixture back into stock pot and continue to simmer.
- Add beans, hominy, tomatoes and zucchini to soup base.
- Remove tomatillos from oven, add to blender with remaining ½ carton vegetable stock, add toasted pepitas, blend until smooth. Add tomatillo mixture to the rest of the soup.
- Shred the poached chicken and add to soup.
- Add salt and black pepper.
- This quick-cook posole is ready to eat, but can continue to simmer longer if you have time! Or, if prepping in the morning, pour into a slow cooker to keep warm until ready to eat.
Nutrition Information / Amount per serving:
Total fat 14 g
Saturated fat 2 g
Cholesterol 55 mg
Protein 28 g
Total Carbohydrates 37 g
Dietary Fiber 8 g
Sodium 691 mg