Chicken Tortilla soup is a hearty meal for a cold winter night, or a tasty low-calorie, high-protein meal.
Serving Size: 2.0 cups
Yield: 8 servings
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Combine the first 4 seasonings in a small bowl.
- Place the 4 chicken breasts on a baking sheet. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil, and then sprinkle with half of the spice mixture from the small bowl. Set aside the other half.
- Bake chicken for 20-25 minutes, or until thermometer reads 165 degrees F. Remove from pan and shred chicken, pulling it apart with two forks. Set aside.
- In a large soup pot, heat the remaining tablespoon of oil over medium heat. Add onions, peppers, and garlic. Sauté about 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in remaining spices and shredded chicken.
- Add canned tomatoes, chicken broth, tomato paste, black beans, and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer. Let cook uncovered for at least 30 minutes (longer if desired).
- Taste soup and add more salt or seasonings to taste. Ladle into bowls, and garnish with tortilla chips and other optional garnishes.
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 red, orange, or yellow bell pepper, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 32 ounces low sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 (15 oz) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups water (more or less as desired)
- Optional garnishes: light sour cream or plain yogurt, chopped cilantro, sliced avocado, crushed tortilla chips, shredded cheese
Nutritional information/ Amount per serving:
Protein 22.7 g
Total fat 5.7 g
Total Carbohydrates 16.6 g
Saturated fat 1.0 g
Dietary Fiber 4.7 g
Cholesterol 40.4 mg
Sodium 299.1 mg
For more recipes and health tips, visit the Kendall Reagan Nutrition Center’s website, as well as the College of Health and Human Sciences Pinterest board.