Chicken Tortilla soup is a hearty meal for a cold winter night, or a tasty low-calorie, high-protein meal.
Serving Size: 2.0 cups
Yield: 8 servings
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Combine the first 4 seasonings in a small bowl.
- Place the 4 chicken breasts on a baking sheet. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil, and then sprinkle with half of the spice mixture from the small bowl. Set aside the other half.
- Bake chicken for 20-25 minutes, or until thermometer reads 165 degrees F. Remove from pan and shred chicken, pulling it apart with two forks. Set aside.
- In a large soup pot, heat the remaining tablespoon of oil over medium heat. Add onions, peppers, and garlic. Sauté about 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in remaining spices and shredded chicken.
- Add canned tomatoes, chicken broth, tomato paste, black beans, and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer. Let cook uncovered for at least 30 minutes (longer if desired).
- Taste soup and add more salt or seasonings to taste. Ladle into bowls, and garnish with tortilla chips and other optional garnishes.
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 red, orange, or yellow bell pepper, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 32 ounces low sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 (15 oz) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups water (more or less as desired)
- Optional garnishes: light sour cream or plain yogurt, chopped cilantro, sliced avocado, crushed tortilla chips, shredded cheese
Nutritional information/ Amount per serving:
Protein 22.7 g
Total fat 5.7 g
Total Carbohydrates 16.6 g
Saturated fat 1.0 g
Dietary Fiber 4.7 g
Cholesterol 40.4 mg
Sodium 299.1 mg