Enjoy this quick and easy recipe that is high in protein, nutritious, and most importantly delicious!
Serving Size: 1 cup
Yield: 10 servings
- 3 ½ cups water
- 1 cup uncooked millet
- 1 orange bell pepper, chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 large tomatoes, diced
- 1 ¾ cups cilantro, chopped
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 1 can (14 oz) drained, unsalted black beans (about 1¾ cup cooked dry beans)
- Just under ½ cup lime juice (juice from 3 fresh limes)
- 4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- Cook millet according to package directions. Spread in shallow pan and refrigerate until cool. Fluff with a fork.
- Combine chopped bell peppers, tomatoes, and cilantro in a bowl. Gently mix in black beans. If serving immediately, add avocado at this time. Otherwise, wait until just before serving.
- Mix the liquids including freshly squeezed lime juice, balsamic vinegar, and olive oil with salt, black pepper, and cumin. Pour over vegetables.
- Carefully toss vegetables with liquid mixture, refrigerate until serving.
Nutrition Information / Amount per serving:
Total fat 7.4 g
Saturated fat 1.1 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Protein 6 g
Total Carbohydrates 29 g
Dietary Fiber 6.3 g
Sodium 245.1 mg
For delicious recipes, nutrition tips, and to find cooking and nutrition classes, go to the Kendall Reagan Nutrition Center website. More great info also available at the College of Health and Human Sciences Pinterest board.