A twist on traditional caprese salad with pesto-tossed barley as the base.
Serving Size: 3/4 cup
Yield: 4 servings
- 2 cups cooked barley, cooled
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes (1 pint), sliced in half
- 4 ounces mini fresh mozzarella balls
- Balsamic glaze
- 1 cup basil leaves, packed
- 1/4 cup nuts (pine nuts, cashews, walnuts, or other)
- 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Cook barley per instructions on package. Cool.
- Put all of the pesto ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth, scraping down the sides as needed.
- Add pesto to cooled barley, stir to coat evenly.
- Mix in mozzarella and sliced tomatoes.
- Optional-top with balsamic glaze.
- Leftovers can keep in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Nutrition Information / Amount per serving
Calories – 405 kcal
Total fat – 29 g
Saturated fat – 6.5 g
Cholesterol – 22 mg
Sugars – 2 g
Protein – 14 g
Total Carbohydrates – 25 g
Dietary Fiber – 6 g
Sodium – 421 mg
Added Sugars – 0 g
For more delicious recipes, nutrition tips, and cooking and nutrition classes, contact the Kendall Reagan Nutrition Center at (970) 495-5916 or see the KRNC website. More health tips are also available at the College of Health and Human Sciences Pinterest board. Lastly, don’t forget to sign up for the KRNC monthly newsletter!