Cool off on hot summer nights with this fresh beet salad. This dish features ingredients that can be found at local farmers’ markets and is quick and easy to prepare.
Serving Size: 2 cups
Yield: 4 servings
- 6 cups of mixed greens or arugula, rinsed and dried
- 1 cup beets, diced (roasted, steamed or raw)
- 1 cup cucumber, diced
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds
- ¼ cup cheese crumbles (goat, feta or bleu cheese)
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Juice and grated zest of 1/2 orange
- Pinch of dried thyme, salt and pepper
- Add greens to a large bowl, then top with remaining salad ingredients.
- To make dressing, place ingredients in a jar, seal tightly, and shake vigorously.
Nutrition Information / Amount per serving (includes dressing):
Calories – 170 kcal
Total Fat – 12 g
Saturated fat – 3 g
Cholesterol – 7 mg
Sugars – 9 g
Protein – 4 g
Total carbohydrates – 13 g
Dietary fiber – 2.5 g
Sodium – 177 mg
Added sugars – 4 g
For more delicious recipes, nutrition tips, and cooking and nutrition classes, contact the Kendall Reagan Nutrition Center at (970) 495-5916 or see the KRNC website. More health tips are also available at the College of Health and Human Sciences Pinterest board. Lastly, don’t forget to sign up for the KRNC monthly newsletter!