Start your day with an antioxidant-rich breakfast! Try dark leafy greens in the winter and fresh tomatoes and zucchini in the summer. The flavors of this recipe can always change depending on what vegetables are in season!
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 oz. unpeeled potatoes (~1 small potato), sliced thin
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Black pepper to taste
- 4 oz. (~1/2 cup) seasonal vegetables cut into 1/2 inch pinches
- 5 large eggs, beaten well
- 2 tablespoons goat or feta cheese, crumbled
- Small bunch of chives, chopped
- Heat olive oil in a 12-inch ovenproof skillet over medium heat and preheat the oven to broil.
- Note: For a thicker frittata, use a smaller skillet
- Add onions, potatoes, and half of the shallots. Sprinkle in 1/4 teaspoon of salt and pepper to taste. Cover and cook until the potatoes are fork-tender. Add the rest of the vegetables and remaining shallots and cook until soft. Leave half of the vegetable mixture in the skillet, put the other half in a bowl and set aside.
- Pour the beaten eggs into the skillet with the vegetables. Cover and cook until the eggs are cooked through.
- When eggs are cooked, add the remaining shallots and the remaining half of the vegetable mixture on top. Sprinkle on cheese and remove the skillet from the heat.
- Place the skillet under a broiler for just a couple of minutes. Monitor closely, when the frittata is puffed up and set, it is done.
- Remove from broiler and sprinkle on chives. Serve and enjoy.
Calories – 200
Total fat – 10.5 g
Saturated fat – 3.0 g
Cholesterol – 235 mg
Sodium – 299 mg
Protein – 11 g
Total Carobhydrates – 16 g
Dietary Fiber – 3.0 g
Sugars – 2.5 g
Added Sugars – 0 g
For more delicious recipes, nutrition tips, and cooking and nutrition classes, contact the Kendall Reagan Nutrition Center at (970) 495-5916 or see the KRNC website. More health tips are also available at the College of Health and Human Sciences Pinterest board. Lastly, don’t forget to sign up for the KRNC monthly newsletter!