If you’re looking for a healthy, hot meal in a hurry, you’ll love this quick and easy chili!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 large red pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 large green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 cup lager beer or 1 cup broth of choice
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes, or 3 cups chopped fresh
- 1 (14-ounce) can no-salt-added black beans
- 1 (14-ounce) can no-salt-added kidney beans
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 cup vegetarian refried beans
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion, peppers, and garlic; sauté 3-5 minutes or until vegetables are softened.
- Add beer or broth to “deglaze” the pan, making sure to scrape up any browned bits with your spoon/spatula. Add tomatoes, black beans, and kidney beans; stir. Add cumin, chili powder, and salt. Stir in the refried beans to thicken the chili.
- Simmer for at least 5 to 10 minutes and serve with your choice of toppings.
Nutrition Information / Amount per serving
Calories – 222
Total fat – 5 g
Saturated fat – 1 g
Cholesterol – 0 mg
Protein – 11 g
Total Carbohydrates – 34 g
Dietary Fiber – 10 g
Sodium – 455 mg
For more delicious recipes, nutrition tips, and cooking and nutrition classes, contact the Kendall Reagan Nutrition Center at (970) 495-5916 or see the KRNC website. More health tips are also available at the College of Health and Human Sciences Pinterest board. Lastly, don’t forget to sign up for the KRNC monthly newsletter!